The Q&A Archives: Moving Houseplants Outdoors

Question: With the weather changing how soon should I put my house plants out for the spring and summer? They are bromeliad, yucca, ficus. They are all in rather large pots as I only transplant them once every 2 years. Also, what kind of plant would grow in a dim lit corner in my apartment?

Answer: I'd move the houseplants outdoors as soon as the outdoor temperatures are about the same as the plants have experienced indoors. I take my plants out when nighttime temperatures remain above 55F. To begin with, take them out during mild afternoons but bring them back indoors overnight. After about a week of this gradual conditioning you can leave them out overnight (providing the temperature remains above 55F).

Some ferns and palms, as well as Mother-in-Law's tongue will thrive under low-light conditions.