The Q&A Archives: How To Divide Asteriscus & Arenaria

Question: I am new to gardening, and would appreciate some help. I planted Arenaria Montana (Sandwort) and Asteriscus (Compact Gold Coin) last year, now they are grwoing out of control. My questions is, Can I divide them into smaller plants and replant, or is my only option cutting them back in order to keep them in control? Also Do you know of any good books on plant division or propagation?

Answer: You can divide your arenaria by digging and separating the plant, taking roots along with portions of the top, and replanting each division.

Asteriscus is shrubby in nature and a bit more difficult to divide. If the roots produce new shoots, you can divide the plant, making sure that each new shoot has a root attached. Otherwise, propagate by seeds or by stem cuttings.

One of my most helpful resources for plant propagation answers is a book entitled "The Complete Book of Plant Propagation" by Graham Clarke & Alan Toogood, ISBN# 0-7063-7079-1. It deals with cuttings, division, layering, grafting and budding.

Hope the above helps you make a successful journey into the world of plant propagation!