The Q&A Archives: Family Pet In The Garden

Question: Last fall I planted various perennials and bulbs, only to discover that my Golden Retriever puppy has dug most of them up! How can I keep her out of my future garden areas
without restricting her areas to play with us in the yard? She jumps over fences, and loves to play in the compost and mulch!

Answer: Dogs can become a real nuisance in the garden. In my experience it takes a great deal of time and patient training to teach them to stay away from specially planted areas. As an alternative, some gardeners resort to the invisible fencing, others simply reserve an area for their gardening and use whatever fencing is required to keep the pets away. Sometimes it helps to provide the dog with their own area where digging is encouraged, too, since it is something they love to do and provides an alternative for them. Remember too that puppies are the most likely to cause damage since the dogs do slow down a bit as they age.