The Q&A Archives: Germination Times for Columbine

Question: I am trying to start some new flowers in one of those plastic indoor terrariums with the help of a grow light. Right now I have primrose and columbine planted. Its been 2 and a half weeks and I still see no signs of seedlings. I'd like to know if maybe I need to add heat to help them? The area under the light is 69 degrees and inside the terrarium its 71 with a 70% humidity level. Kimberly Krajewski Grand Rapids, MI

Answer: It sounds like you are doing everything right, so just be patient. My reference lists the germination time for primrose as 21 to 40 days, at 70 degrees F. It lists columbine at 21 to 25 days at 70 to 75 degrees F. Maybe by the time you read this you'll have some sprouts! One thing to note: columbine has a taproot and resists transplanting as it gets older--so be sure to transplant it to the outdoors when it is still quite small.