The Q&A Archives: Prayer Plant or Pothos

Question: I bought a plant which the Company couldn't find the exact name. I'd like the name so someone could tell me how to care for it. All they knew that it belongs to the Prayer plant family and guessed that it may be a Pothos. The plant has large flat leaves. Is there a photo of it for comparison, too?

Answer: Prayer plant (Maranta lueconeura) has a central crown and large flat leaves with ribs, usually in a pattern of dark purple or pink and green. The stems fold upward at night and flatten out again in the day time. Pothos (Epipremnum aureum) is a distinctly vining plant with glossy green leaves, sometimes variegated or marbled or mottled with cream or gold. Both plants would do well in moderate light. The prayer plant needs an evenly moist yet well drained soil (meaning not soggy) while the pothos does best being watered very heavily or drenched and then allowed to dry out somewhat before watering again. An internet search using the Latin name as key words should yield some photos for you. The plants are very different in appearance.