The Q&A Archives: Planting Tulips in Central Florida

Question: I live in Central Florida and have always wanted to plant tulips I know that they need to be cooled before planting but I would like to know when to buy, how long to refrigerate, and is there a certain variety that I should plant. Also, after blooming can I replant the same bulbs if I dig them up.

Answer: Buy tulip bulbs about 12 weeks before you will be planting them (a good time in Florida is December. Place bulbs in plactic bags and store in the vegetable crisper of your refrigerator for 12-20 weeks. After flowering, there really isn't much you can do to hang onto or prepare bulbs for another season. Discard them and start with new bulbs each year. By the way, Florida gardens are home to a wealth of bulbs that do so much better than tulips.