The Q&A Archives: Tomatoes In Hanging Baskets

Question: I have read several articles about cherry tomatoes that can be grown in hanging moss baskets, but none of them gave any details. What type and how much soil should be used and how often should they be watered? How may plants per 14" basket, or should they be grown from seed?

Answer: Tomatoes are more demanding when grown in containers since they have a large root system and need a consistent supply of water. But several varieties may work for you:

'Tiny Tim' is an old favorite for hanging baskets with a 15" long stem. But its fruit is tough-skinned and not the best for flavor.
'Cherry Gold' is a golden version of Tiny Tim, but better flavored.
'Red Robin' grows 8-12 inches tall with masses of red 1" fruit.
'Small Fry' is a 1970 AAS winner which is considerably bigger at 40" tall, but it is still recommended for hanging baskets.
'Toy Boy' grows a foot tall with lots of small red fruit.
At this point in the season, plant seedlings rather than starting your tomato plants.
My suggestion is to try several of these choices, only one to a basket, and see what suits your taste!