The Q&A Archives: Best Perennials To Plant

Question: I have a small area (5feet by 2 feet) in the front of my house that I would like to plant flowers that bloom well into the fall. The garden would receive direct sunlight from 12 noon on. What is the best type of plant(s) for this area and situation?

Answer: Intense afternoon sun with heat reflected off the building can be very hot indeed, so you will need to select plants that can handle both heat and full sun conditions. Some long blooming annuals to consider would be salvia, petunia, marigold, zinnia, tithonia, cosmos, flowering tobacco, ornamental sweet potato, and canna. Some perennials to consider would be late blooming asters, boltonia, the sedums, Russian sage, purple cone flower (if deadheaded regularly), and mums. You might also consider some of the annual vines for a trellis or pyramidal tower. Soil preparation will be very important for this type of location so be sure to add ample organic matter and keep the plants mulched with several inches of organic mulch such as shredded bark. Finally, when you water, make sure to water deeply but less often as opposed to that daily light sprinkling.