The Q&A Archives: Nutgrass Control

Question: I have been unable to completly remove nut grass from my garden. You can pull the shoots when the soil is moist and there are 3 nuts attatched to them via a runner under the ground. Is there something I can use to eleminate this weed? It's taking the fun out of gardening.

Answer: I'm not familiar with this weed, but usually heavy mulch is a good organic option for the control of most persistent perennial weeds. Try layering 8-10 pieces of newspaper with straw or hay to smother the areas between plants. Alternately, you could use mulch that comes on a roll, and cut holes for planting. Mulch works very well in conjunction with irrigation in my garden.

You can build raised beds over the infested area, but first apply a thick layer of mulch below the bed so the weed won't come up through the soil into the bed. Good luck!

Today's site banner is by Lestv and is called "Butterfly on Spider Lily"