The Q&A Archives: Wind-Tolerant Perennials

Question: I want to landscape a part of my yard thats always very windy. I would prefer perennials and flowering shubs, but I am open to anything that will bloom and look nice.

Answer: Lilacs, forsythia, rugosa rose, and spirea are wind-tolerant, blooming shrubs, juniper and mugo pine are wind-tolerant evergreens, and many of the silvery-leaved perennials and some of the herbs are also wind tolerant. You might try artemisia, achillea, Russian sage, thyme, lavender, nepeta and Berggarten sage. If possible, a temporary wind barrier can be helpful during the establishment period. A more permanent windbreak, such as a shrub hedge or a non-solid fence (picket), is very effective at softening the effects of wind. Such a structure protects to a distance of about eight times the height of the barrier.