The Q&A Archives: Reviving Pachysandra

Question: How do I revive my pachysandra around my tree, it is very sparse and I tried transplanting last fall but it still looks bare. Can I fertilze it ? or what?

Answer: Pachysandra is an excellent groundcover but it grows relatively slowly, so it may be that you need to be a little bit patient. It will grow best in soil that is well prepared with ample organic matter added to it and that is kept evenly moist but not soggy. A spring top dressing of compost and/or complete fertilizer such as 5-10-5 according to the label instructions should also help. Finally, several inches of organic mulch in between the new plants will help control weeds and keep the soil moist until the plants have filled in; it will also help feed the soil when it breaks down over time. Good luck with your pachysandra.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"