The Q&A Archives: Hibiscus Not Blooming

Question: I purchased a beautiful Hibicus last summer, it bloomed continually until I brought it inside in the fall. It has not produced any buds or blooms since. However, it does produce beautiful green leaves and new stems. What do you suggest??? A local gardening supplier suggested Miracid Soil Acidifier.

Answer: These plants require plenty of sunlight to continue blooming through the winter. A combination of overfertilizing and lack of light can cause excessively lush green growth as well. Since your plant seems healthy in other respects, I would suspect that it simply needs more light to enable it to bloom. It should bloom again if you put it outside again this summer. Be sure to gradually acclimate it to the stronger sunshine when you move it so that it doesn't "sunburn".