The Q&A Archives: What Tree Should I Plant?

Question: I am wanting to plant small ornamental trees in some flower boxes. The flower boxes are around 4-5 foot wide and 12 feet long and are located between a parking lot and sidewalk. The area is of course full sun and the soil might be somewhat rocky (from previous parking lot debris) below the foot or two of top soil we put in.

Answer: A few of the more popular and reasonably maintenance-free sidewalk trees include Eastern Redbud (Cercis canadensis), Cornus alternifolia (Pagoda Dogwood), Washington Hawthorn (Crategus phaenopyrum), Flowering Crabapples: 'Adams', 'Indian Magic' or 'Snowdrift', American Plum (Prunus americana) or Chokecherry (Prunus virginiana 'Shubert')

Your new trees will need regular watering throughout the growing season their first few years. After that they should get along well with just natural rainfall.