The Q&A Archives: Labeling Confusing

Question: I have purchased 150mg.seed packets of your Canterbury Bells, ( Cup-and-Saucer Mix ) Campanula medium.
The front of the packet states that they bloom first year from seed. The back of the packet sugest otherwise.
Please clairfy.

Answer: In some cases this plant will bloom the first year if started very early, but it is usually grown as and considered to be a biennial. In my experience, it is very difficult for a home gardener to get these started so very extra early and then also kept healthy enough prior to transplant into the garden; if they bloom the first year it would be late in the season. Like so many things in gardening, it's worth giving it a shot as long as you are also not disappointed if it doesn't turn out exactly as planned!