The Q&A Archives: Healthy Pine With Line Of Holes In Trunk

Question: I searched your library and read about Monterey pines on the west coast with beetle holes. However, our very healthy looking pine has a horizontal line of five or six holes, looks like someone pokes a pencil lead in each one. The bark around each hole is bare but the tree seems just fine. Can I spray something to prevent it dying out? Also, will it effect the pine trees surrounding it and is there anything I can do?

Answer: I'd venture that a sapsucker or woodpecker has found your pine. This isn't an unusual occurrance and generally won't permanently affect your tree. The holes will callus over on their own. You can discourage additional holes by wrapping hardware cloth over the area until the birds decide to go elsewhere.