The Q&A Archives: English Boxwoods

Question: I am in the process of planping my garden. I would like to plant English boxwoods but I am not sure how wide they get or how far apart to space them.

Answer: There are a number of different varieties of boxwood and the spacing would depend on the specific type you select. Some are wide-growing and some are more erect; some are ultimately quite huge and some stay very small and grow only a few inches a year. Your selection would also depend on the use you have in mind for them such as edging an herb garden or being used in a knot pattern or simply as a basic hedge plant or possibly to edge a walk. In making your selection you might also want to consider their capacity for maintaining a good green color during our colder winters. I'm sorry I can't be more specific.