The Q&A Archives: Organic Fertilizer for Orange Trees

Question: I have a mixture of 60 orange trees, all producing a fair amount of fruit. How do I organically fertilize and prune my trees so that I may produce a better crop? I'm also having an ant problem and maybe mites. Diane Franco Fallbrook, CA

Answer: The amount of fertilizer required depends, in part, on the age of the tree. You can begin by mulching each tree with a layer of well-rotted compost. Some growers apply fertilizer monthly from March through August. You want your trees to produce moderate growth each year, rather than excessive growth one year, less the next. You can use a liquid organic fertilizer such as one made from an extract of sea kelp or fishmeal, or a foliar spray. For more specific recommendations, I suggest you contact your local Extension agent. They should have information specific to your region and climate. Their number is 619/694-2845.