The Q&A Archives: Directly Sowing Seeds

Question: The date of the last frost is upon my region. I havce not started any plants indoors nor sown my cold weather vegeteables. Should I wait and directly plant warm soil plants like tomotoes and peppers or still start them indoors? Is it too late too plant the cold weather plants like lettuce and carrots?

Answer: To some extent the answer to your question depends on how much of a "gambler" you are. Quick growing cool season crops that can also be eaten at a young stage such as lettuce and spinach can still be planted, certainly. Tomatoes and melons could still be given a head start indoors, since they and other heat loving crops would be not be seeded outdoors until the soil has warmed up, usually a week or two after the frost date. Tomatoes seeded outdoors seem to nearly catch up to the transplants, running just a week or two later. Peppers take such a long time to grow that I would probably suggest purchasing some transplants, but the seeds should remain viable for years if properly stored.