The Q&A Archives: Should I Plant A Water Loving Tree To Help With Basement Seepage Problem?

Question: Since they built an extention to the next door neighbors home I am getting water seepage through walls and floor of basement. My ? is would planting a weeping willow in the backyard help with this sucking up some of that water run off? Are there dwarf willows? The neighbors are now putting in an inground pool with 3/4 of their property becoming patio cement and I am sure this will exasterbate the problem more so. Just wondering I would be appreciative on any opinions.

Answer: There are several approaches to the problem, but unfortunately, planting a water loving tree probably would not solve it in the long run. I would strongly suggest that you obtain some expert professional advice about the drainage problem and how to correct it since water problems generally become worse over time. A landscape architect or other expert with professional training in surface grading should be able to figure out the best way to control and/or divert the runoff coming from the neighbor's property. It is usually possible to install an underground drainage system and possibly a sump pump to prevent water damage to the house. Also, in some areas it is illegal to direct runoff in such a way that it floods a neighboring property, so that may be worth investigating as well.