The Q&A Archives: Pomegranate Wont Bloom

Question: I have a pomegranate (Wonderful) that is 3 years old. I live in zone 7 and was told it would grow here. Was also told it would thrive for a while in a large container. I have it in a 45 gallon tub and each year (late spring/early summer) it puts off lots of leaves and grows new branches, but never flowers. I was then told by someone else that I should try growing it indoors and that it would flower there. What is the best thing to do? I have always wanted a pomegranate shrub so please tell me how to deal with this problem.

Answer: Your pomegranate needs heat and all day sunshine in order to produce flowers. Your plant is old enough to produce fruit, so you may have to manipulate the environment to provide the required heat. Try placing your plant against a west-facing wall where reflected heat will assist in the formation of flowers (and hopefully fruit!).