The Q&A Archives: Crabapple Cultivars

Question: In autumn '99 I planted a crabapple (2" trunk girth, about 11 feet tall) which has already flowered. The bark is red and somewhat glossy. Flowers are green with a red undercolor. The nursery from which I bought the tree said the fruit would be red, although they couldn't name the cultivar. Can you identify this cultivar for me and give me any relevant information re: its culture? Thanks so much.

Answer: Most crabapples I'm familiar with have white flowers, so we can narrow down the possibilities to Floribunda, a Japanese crab covered with a profusion of pink and white buds and flowers, or Red Flesh, a tree with red flowers and copper colored leaves. As another consideration, the cultivar Centennial has red flower buds that open to a snowy white. There are probably other cultivars, but these are the most widely planted. All crabapples thrive in full sunshine and average, well-draining soils.

Hope the above helps you discover your crabapple's true identity!