The Q&A Archives: Purple Leaves On Rosemary

Question: Hi,

Lately I have been noticing that the leaves on my rosemary plant have turned a shade of purple. It was planted last summer and has been outdoors for a majority of the winter. Could the purple color be an indication of a problem with the plant?

While there is usually a certain amount of color change or blush during the winter a distinct purple would be unusual. It could simply be an indication of cold soil, it could be an indication of an overly acidic pH, it could be a sign of a nutrient deficiency or a combination of any of those. You might want to compare the color of your plant with others of the same variety that have also been outdoors for the winter and see if yours is atypical or not. Based on my experience, I would expect the color to normalize once the season progresses and the soil warms up again.