The Q&A Archives: Sod lifter or cutter

Question: Hi I'm been trying to find a "sod lifter". From what I've seen it has an angled handle with a heart shaped shovel end I'm trying to remove my lawn so as to make the garden bed larger and a regular shovel doesn't work very well (my aching back).

Answer: I think you need a sod cutter. These can be rented for a day or a half a day and do the job very quickly, but they do require some upper body strength to operate. You might try asking locally at places where they rent tillers and similar types of equipment.

Another approach would be to conserve all that good organic matter by turning it under rather than removing it. This will allow the sod to compost in place and help to enrich the soil.

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by mcash70 and is called "Moss on a log"