The Q&A Archives: Vegetables for Rocky Soil

Question: My husband and I would like to grow a vegetable garden with our children. The soil on our property is extremly rocky. We have a few fruit trees that are doing well in it, as well as strawberries. We are unsure what types of vegetables to plant. I would appreciate any suggestions as to what sort of vegetables would grow in our type of soil
and that would be fairly easy to maintain.

Answer: In my experience, most vegetables do fine in rocky soil with the exception of longer varieties of carrots. The soil may be difficult to work, though, and for that reason you might consider using raised beds to help avoid the rocks. Since you are starting a new garden, I would also suggest you run some basic soil tests to help you determine what amendments, if any, need to be added when you first prepare the soil. Finally, some of the easiest vegetables to grow in my experience are potatoes, sweet cherry tomatoes, peppers, spinach and chard, early peas, zucchini, and herbs such as parsley, dill and chives. If you have room, sunflowers and pumpkins are fun to grow, too.