The Q&A Archives: Storing Bulbs with Foliage

Question: I just pulled out hundreds of tulip, daffodil and hyacinth bulbs to make way for a new project. The leaves have not had time to dry, thus feeding the bulb. Would it be best to leave them in the open-ended plastic grocery bags until fall when the project will be complete and replant, or should I do something else? To let them go would be something like letting the family pet die. Thanks for your useful information. L Tiffany

Answer: Even though you're correct in saying the foliage is needed to rejuvenate the bulbs for next year, since they are already out of the ground I'd remove all foliage and store in a cool, dry place until fall and then plant. Lay them on newspaper rather than storing them in plastic bags.