The Q&A Archives: Flowering Annuals for Balcony

Question: I need an idea of what to plant on a balcony that faces west and gets the hot afternoon sun. Would like something that will flower all summer. I plant about six small pots that go on the ledge and two or three larger pots that sit on the floor.

Answer: Here are some suggestions for long-blooming, weather-sturdy annuals that should do well in your situation: Ageratum, Vinca (Catharanthus roseus), Flamingo Feather cockscomb (Celosia cristata), New Guinea Impatiens (Impatiens hybrids), Impatiens wallerana, Petunia Wave Series (pink and purple), and Zinnias. For trailing plants in addition to Vinca, try trailing nasturtiums (Tropaeolum majus 'Jewel of Africa', 'Empress of India', etc.).

Container plants need more frequent watering than bed-grown plants, so check the soil moisture in your containers daily. Enjoy!