The Q&A Archives: Growing Strawberries in the Caribbean

Question: Are there any strawberries that would be successful on St.Thomas? I read of a type of strawberries that grows wild on one of the other islands. Kathleen Ottley St.Thomas, USVIl

Answer: It may be difficult to grow strawberries on your tropical island paradise because they need a cool, dormant period in winter in order to grow and set fruit the next year. I do know they grow strawberries commercially in Florida, so there may be a possibility of some varieties growing where you are. I'll refer you to strawberry experts and perhaps they can help. Indiana Berry Farm 5218 West 500 South Huntingburg, IN 47542 1-800-295-2226 Also, the North American Strawberry Growers P.O. Box 160 West Paducah, KY 42086-0160 502-488-2116