The Q&A Archives: Growing Apples

Question: I have just bought my first apple tree. Do I need more than one for it to produce fruit? Also, as far as I can see this is a very healthy tree, just blossoming now, do I need to spray it anyway? With what? It's a Mac Apple.

Answer: Apple trees produce more fruit if there's another apple tree close by and your McIntosh is no exception. If a neighbor has an apple tree that flowers about the same time as your Mac, you'll probably get a respectable crop of apples. If not, you may want to plant another cultivar to ensure complete pollination.

If your tree develops problems such as the fungal disease called scab, you can put it on a regular spray schedule, applying lime-sulfur to protect it. A series of lime-sulfur applications, beginning during the dormant season, will help keep the disease from developing. But unless the disease is present, there's no need to spray.