The Q&A Archives: Bloom Cycle of Hollyhock

Question: I've had a hollyhock for about a year and a half. It has not yet bloomed, but has nice green foliage and seems healthy. I water it often. What could be keeping it from blooming? Thank you. Shelby

Answer: Your hollyhock is doing just fine! Hollyhocks are perennial plants which won't bloom until the second season. Yours should bloom this summer. Just be sure the fertilizer you are using (if you are using any) is a balanced one, not too high on the nitrogen. Nitrogen stimulates the growth of foliage at the expense of flowers. Hollyhocks are often grown as biennials, because they are vulnerable to a rust disease. Seeds are sown one year, so that they will flower the following summer. In case your plant becomes infected with the rust fungus, you might want to sow some seeds this spring to be sure you'll get another show of flowers next year.