The Q&A Archives: Transporting Dug-up Peony Tubers

Question: My husband owns a rental home in Cincinnati, Ohio region. He has over 12 lovely full plants, planted alongside a driveway. He has said I could dig some (even all!) and bring to our central Missouri home. I understand how it is done, but instructions you have given explain that the tuber is to be re-planted right away. Is it possible to bring the Ohio plants to Missouri? It is an eight-hour trip.

Answer: Yes, I think so. Wrap them in damp newspaper so they don't dry out and to help insulate them. Make sure the car doesn't get hot when parked and cook them, and replant as soon as you get home. (The next morning would probably be okay.) Make sure they are well watered the day before you dig them and water them well when you replant them. Fall is the preferred time to do this.