The Q&A Archives: Growing Sweet William

Question: I have quite a few sweet William plants in my garden, but have been unsuccessful in getting them to bloom. I started them from seed 2 years ago, and while they are healthy, green and thriving, I would like them to produce flowers!!!!!!! Thanks - any help would be appreciated.

Answer: These plants usually take until their second year to start blooming, so I would certainly expect blooms this year. They grow best in full sun and rich soil that is moist yet very well drained, especially in winter. They also prefer cool weather, so an unusually hot or dry season can curtail flowering. Finally, this plant can act like a biennial or a short lived perennial, so don't be too surprised if a number of them bloom and then fail to come back the next year. For this reason, too, you may want to allow some to set seed to renew the clump from year to year.