The Q&A Archives: Time to Plant?

Question: I've received my strawberry,rosemary,scented geraniums plants andwould like to know when to plant outdoors. I live in zone 6.

Answer: Strawberry plants should be planted outdoors as soon as possible, but protected against hard freezes with a layer of straw or a garden blanket/row cover kept handy for cold nights. Your rosemary should be gradually acclimated to outdoor conditions prior to planting in the garden, or it may be grown as a container plant so that it can be brought indoors each winter. (Rosemary is not reliably hardy in zone 6, although they do pull through occasionally.) Your scented geraniums are very tender and do not tolerate cold at all. They should not be left outside at night until the nights are reliably in the mid-forties or warmer. For this reason, it may be easier to keep them in pots until the weather has truly settled.