The Q&A Archives: Stimulating Wisteria to Bloom

Question: What in the world can I do to get a 6-year-old wisteria to bloom? Darlene Moore Roseburg, OR

Answer: There are many reasons that wisteria fail to bloom. If your nursery sold you a seedling wisteria, it may take 20 years to bloom! Good nursery stock is grown from rooted cuttings. Check with your supplier for this information. Also, wisteria toleratevery little shade if they are to bloom. Excessive vegetative growth suppresses bloom, too. They require specific pruning as well to balance vine and bloom stimulation. If you need more information on pruning, let me know. Sometimes root pruning around the drip line of the vine will stimulate the flowers to form for next year. Just dig down one foot deep all around the drip line breaking any roots you meet.