The Q&A Archives: Sandy Soil

Question: I have a place at the beach and would like to know what kinds of flowers survive well there. I haven't had much luck with flowers. What kind of flowers do well in sandy soil?

Answer: In order to grow flowers in sandy soil, you will probably find it necessary to add copious amounts of organic matter to the soil to help it hold water longer. You should also use a layer of organic mulch such as shredded bark to help continue to feed the soil as it breaks down and also to keep the soil cool and moist. Having said that, here are some plants to try: Rugosa rose, salvia, sedum, perennial geranium, yarrow and ornamental grasses. You might also contact your county extension near the beach location and ask them for suggestions about what does particularly well in that area.

Today's site banner is by Lestv and is called "Butterfly on Spider Lily"