The Q&A Archives: Sunlight For Veggies

Question: WE moved into a new house. There is a garden area. The neighbors say they always had a garden there. I get sunlight from 6:30 am to 1:30 in the afternoon, and then I get a couple more hours in the late afternoon. Is this enought to grow corn, tomatoes, zuchinni, pumkins, sunflowers and the usual green veggies? I need your help in this one.

Answer: The general rule of thumb is a minimum of 8 hours sunlight for warm-season veggies such as tomatoes, squash and sunflowers. You might be able to cheat a bit, but you'll double your odds of a good harvest if you choose varieties bred for short-season regions. These plants require less heat to mature. Try Early Girl or Best Boy tomatoes, Jack-Be-Little or Lumina pumpkins, Sure Thing or Roly Poly Hybrid zucchini, and Aztec Gold sunflowers.

You can order online at, or phone (800) 888-1447.