The Q&A Archives: Evergreen, Shade-Loving Groundcovers for TX

Question: I have a shady spot which needs plants; it's under several pines trees and gets 15% sunlight in the late evenings. I would like to plant something which will stay green year round. Also I would love some color - can you help? Wanda Roark Humble, TX

Answer: I think a native groundcover of some sort is what you need. I suggest you get a copy of the "Texas Native Plant Directory" from the Texas Dept. of Agriculture, P.O. Box 12847, Austin, TX 78711. In addition it lists all nurseries in the state that sell native plants. Another good source of information is the Native Plant Society of Texas, P.O. Box 23836, Denton, TX 76204. Some plants to try include, Mexican plumbago, Liriope, pachysandra, Mahonia repens.