The Q&A Archives: Hydrangea's In California

Question: I am moving from San Francisco to Mill Valley and the climate is quite different. On the zone maps, my zone seems to be defined as San Francisco weather but the weather in Marin is much warmer and dryer than San Francisco. Can you tell me what zone I am in. In the Burpee catalogue, most of the plants I am interested in (like hydrangea) grow in Zone 6-9, will they grow in my area?

Answer: There are pronounced differences between the Bay Area and Mill Valley, but these are difficult to reflect on a zone map that covers the entire United States. Sunset Western Garden Book has done a spectacular job of dividing growing zones into additional zones, based upon elevation and proximity to bodies of water. If you haven't yet seen a copy of the book, by all means vist your local library or bookstore! It's filled with a wealth of regional gardening information and will guide you in your plant selection. The hydrangeas in Burpee's catalog will thrive in your new gardening zone