The Q&A Archives: Spider Mite on Hemlock

Question: I have hedge of hemlock trees. Local agency said they are infested . Sent out samples which were diagnosed but they have not told me what to use for this severe problem of spider mite. I don't want to lose these trees.

Answer: Spider mite problems tend to escalate in hot dry seasons exactly like we experienced in last year's drought. If rainfall is normal this year, you may not see them again. However, keep a sharp eye for the first sign of damage and if it occurs, contact your county extension or a professionally trained arborist for help in treating it with the most up to date methods. One remedy is to spray frequently with plain water, from top to bottom and on the undersides of the needles, to knock the mites off and increase humidity which discourages them, but this may not be practical if the trees are large ones.