The Q&A Archives: Removing Brown Spots (Dog Urine) on Lawn

Question: What do I do to get rid of the brown spots on the lawn where the dog urinated on during the winter? Ed Ramsey Harbor Beach, MI

Answer: Dog urine is alkaline and contains concentrations of salts, so it has problably thrown the soil pH off a little. I suggests raking about an inch of compost into the area. The compost contains soil organisms that can help balance to the soil biology andchemistry. Depending on the grass species, new tillers may come into the renovated area, but you can always put down a little seed to get it going again. If your dog usually uses your lawn for relief, douse the area with a hose to dilute the effect of the urine soon after the fact. Consider also giving the dog his/her own area and fencing it in while you enjoy the rest of the lawn.