The Q&A Archives: Slow Growing Shrub

Question: We are going to be moving into a retirement area in June. Instead of a wood fence between the houses you have a concrete fence which is 5 ft. high. Nothing can grow higher than the height of the fence.
What I would like to know what is a slow growing shrub that we could plant that would look pretty all year around so we wouldn't have to look at the concrete. I don't want to have something that has to be pruned.

Answer: If the site is full sunshine, you'll need a plant that doesn't mind reflected heat. Yew's are slow-growing and don't require pruning, but look really nice if clipped back occasionally. Thuja (arborvitae) are neat, symmetrical plants that grow into globes, cones or cylinders all on their own. Some of the dwarf cultivars grow 2'-4' tall and include 'Little Gem', 'Nana' and 'Nigra'. Or, you may want a broadleaf plant like Teucrium (germander). The bush germander grows to about 4' tall with a 4' spread. Teucrim fruticans 'Compactum' grows only 3' tall.

Hope one of the above is just what you're looking for!