The Q&A Archives: Cutting Back Lamb's Ear

Question: I planted some lamb's ear last year and it did very well (it did not flower last year; perhaps I bought the non-flowering type or it does not flower the first year?).

I expect another good showing this year. Do I need to assist the plant by cutting back old, brittle growth?

FYI: I vigorously rubbed my hand over the leaves of the plant and many of what appeared to be last year's leaves "shook out." This has created a bit of a hole in the center of the plant.

Answer: You did the right thing. Go ahead and groom the plant by removing old foliage and any dried out and lifeless stems. The plant will regrow very quickly this spring and should fill in and expand beyond last year's size. In my experience it usually blooms at quite a young age, so perhaps you did purchase a larger leafed, virtually non-blooming variety.