The Q&A Archives: Gold Dust Plant When To Tranplant Them?

Question: When can I tranplant the gold dust plant and how do I take care of it?

Answer: I believe you are referring to an Aucuba japonica, sometimes called Japanese Aucuba. This slow growing evergreen can be transplanted in early spring. It requires a shady spot (both summer and winter) with a moist yet not soggy soil that is high in organic matter. A location protected from wind is also preferable. If you transplant it, prepare the new planting area ahead of time and then water the shrub deeply the day before you dig it. Dig it up with as large a rootball as you can and replant immediately at the same depth as it grew before. Treat it as you would a newly purchased plant and keep the soil moist but not soggy for the coming year.