The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Dog Woods

Question: My wife and I are transplanting small red blossoming dogwoods. Will they still live if we transplant them now, and what are some good steps to follow when doing so? Thanks

Answer: The smaller the tree, the better it transplants, so you have that going for you!

In warm regions, late fall is the best time to transplant, so the trees have a chance to develop strong root systems before the heat of summer. Late spring and summer is a little more risky, but since the trees are small, and if you give them extra attention this first year, you might be OK.

When you dig the tree, get as much of the roots as possible. The more the better. Dig the new hole only as
deep as the plant's root system, wider is okay. I wouldn't amend the soil with anything. Your native soil is
fine. Don't put fertilizer in the planting hole. The plant will be
trying to establish a new root system, and additional
nutrients are not needed until new roots are established.

Water the plant in well after planting and keep moist but not
soggy this first season.