The Q&A Archives: Tropical Gardening

Question: We moved to southern California and I don't know anything about gardening. We have a pool with a retaining wall, and a slight slope, I would like to keep the setting tropical, but I don't know what to plant on the slope, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Answer: The theme you've chosen is full of possibilities, from ferns to palms to hibiscus and everything in between! In your mild winter climate you can plant Elephant's Ears, dracaena, and begonias - plants the rest of the nation need to keep indoors most of the year! Before you get started, you might want to do a little research. There are two books I'd recommend - Sunset Western Garden Book (ISBN# 0-376-03851-9) and Taylor's Guide to Garden Design (ISBN# 0-395-46784-5). After looking through these resources you'll have a better idea of the plants that will grow well in your garden, and how to place them for best effect.

Enjoy your tropical paradise!