The Q&A Archives: Planting Advise For Strawberries

Question: You shipped my strawberry plants and I received them yesterday. I am wondering when it is safe to plant them. We are still experiencing snow flurries. The temperature is expected to be in the fifties during the day this weekend, but cold at night again. Will the plants be safe if I plant them now?

Answer: Bare root strawberry plants should be planted very early in the spring, upon receipt unless the supplier indicates otherwise.

Strawberry blossoms are susceptible to freeze damage, but the plants themselves are very cold hardy. You might cover them with a row cover or a light bit of fluffy straw early on while they are becoming acclimated, but the snow won't hurt them.

Usually, the blossoms have been removed prior to shipping so that is not a concern the first year. If not, you will have to decide whether to remove them to allow the plants to devote their energy to becoming well established this first year, or to leave them on the plants and harvest berries this year. When the plants are blooming, you will need to protect them from frost, especially on cold nights.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"