The Q&A Archives: Blue Hibiscus

Question: There is a plant at the nursery in a one gallon container called a Blue Hibiscus. I really would like to buy it but I also need your advise. I can give this plant only a half day of sun in my tiny garden. Either Morning through mid-day or it can get mid-day through afternoon sun. Would either one be satisfactory? If so could it survive in a pot?

Answer: Alyogyne huegelii, or "blue hibiscus" as it is commonly called, is not at all a member of the Hibiscus family. However, its dramatic deep blue flowers, measuring 4-5 inches across, makes stunning springtime display! This is a hardy evergreen shrub up to 7 or 8 feet in height, and is capable of surviving temperatures down to 23 degrees. It loves sun and a warm garden location. Because of it's potential to grow 7' at maturity, you can probably keep it in a container for a few years, but it will be much happier planted directly in the ground. I'd plant it where it will get at least 6 hours of direct sunshine. It may not bloom with only morning sunshine, and it's such a spectacular plant when in bloom!