The Q&A Archives: Resources for Container Gardening

Question: I want to do flower boxes on my balcony this year. I live in Austin Texas so the heat can get pretty extreme. I'm pretty sure I can find or get help finding the flowers that will withstand the heat. However, I've never known some of the basics of container gardening. Should the container have holes in the bottom? What is the best type of soil to use? Should I put rocks or something in the bottom? I have a lot of basic questions so it would be helpful for me if you could suggest a web site or gardening book that focused on the basics of doing successful flower boxes. Thank you. Cathy Troutner Austin, TX

Answer: There are a number of good books on container gardening: David Joyce's The Complete Container Garden published by Reader's Digest; George Carter's Containers, A Garden Project Workbook vol. 1 published by Stewart, Tabori