The Q&A Archives: Mold On Peat Pots

Question: This is my first year starting seeds indoors. I am using the jiffystart peat pots. The problem I am having is that the pots themselves and the soil is growing mold. They are in a sunny bay window and I have been keeping the soil moist. I'm not sure if the soil is too moist or they are getting too much sun. Do you have any ideas?

Answer: Mold or algae of a sort tends to grow on the peat pots and pellets occasionally and is not necessarily cause for alarm as long as your plants are healthy. Be careful not to over water them; the medium should be moist like a wrung out sponge but not sopping wet. It is unusual for seedlings to get too much sun -- many gardeners find that they need additional light in the form of fluorescents to supplement the natural light even with a large window.