The Q&A Archives: Flowers And Vines That Grow In The Shade

Question: I have a very big crab apple tree in my back yard. I want to plant flowers undernearh to make it look nice, but I am not sure what plants will grow. What kinds of flowers, vines, and ground covers will grow well in the shade?

Answer: The shade from a crabapple tree usually is dappled or partial shade, so you have a wide variety of plants to chose from. Since the tree will compete to some extent for water and nutrients as well as sun, look for plants htat do not require moist soil. You could consider perennials and groundcovers such as hosta, pulmonaria, epimedium, spiderwort, alchemilla, bleeding heart, ajuga, creeping myrtle, perennial geraniums and columbine. Vines are more limited, since most of these prefer sun, but you might try a the sweet autumn or fall blooming native clematis with fragrant white flowers.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"