The Q&A Archives: Cut Flower Garden

Question: I am planing a cut flower garden this year. The only problem is that I'm not sure what flowers I should pick. I'm in zone 4 and want perennials.

Answer: You should be aware that perennials take a few years to get established, so plants set out this year will probably take a year or two to really take off and produce lots of flowers for cutting. I suggest planting some annuals as well so you'll have plenty of flowers this first year.

As far as what to plant, there's a whole range so it's hard to pick just a few. You might enjoy reading a book on cut flower growing -- there are a number of them available.

Here are a few options:

Perennials: achillea, coreopsis, coneflowers, delphinium, heliopsis, irises

Annuals: zinnias, cosmos, scabiosa, baby's breath, cornflowers

You might also enjoy planting some ornamental grasses, which are nice in both fresh and dried displays.